Wifi extender?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Colt_Gun, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Colt_Gun Well-Known Member

Battlelog/Origin ID:
    Colt_Gun00
    PSN ID:
    Colt_Gun00
    Ok I play Bf3 on a ps3 that has very unstable wifi connection. One minute it will be lag free, and nek minit I'll have 2mb down and 0.2 up. Can someone who is familiar with wifi networks tell me if a Netgear wireless extended would be worth getting, or if having to use it as a bridge would slow my up/down speeds down to the point that itmayaswellnot be there? Would I be better of getting a HOMEPLUG?
  2. Th3_IronChef Active Member

Battlelog/Origin ID:
    Th3_lronCh3F
    PSN ID:
    Th3_lronCh3f
    Wifi extender?

Do you have a lot of traffic in your household? If so you might benefit from a dual band router. To split the traffic between a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz band. Unfortunately the PS3 doesn't support 5GHz. But if you have a good number of devices running wifi in your home. Splitting them would do wonders for your connection. I changed my router and I improved my speeds from 2-3mbps down to 10-12mbps down.

Devices running in my home. (Most of the time)

-PS3

-iPad

- 2 Laptops

- HDTV

Everything but 1 Laptop and my PS3 are on the 5GHz band.
  3. Colt_Gun Well-Known Member

Battlelog/Origin ID:
    Colt_Gun00
    PSN ID:
    Colt_Gun00
    Wifi extender?

Yea we have a really flash Netgear Rounter (N300 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router DGND3300v2) and we also have alot of traffic (2 Desktops, 2 Laptops, 2 PS3s, and alot of Mobile WiFi devices like Ipods, PSP etc) I'm not sure how to make them run on different bands though.

The problem with my internet is that, for example: last week I had 4/5 connection bars on my laptop in my room, but as I am typing this now, I have 2/5. It is really inconsistent and I just got a Wifi Extender for christmas to help and if it isn't going to help in this situation, or if re-routing packets through it is going to slow them down significantly then I can still return it and get money back to put towards another solution. I wouldn't think that my connection strength would have anything to do with how many other devices are on the network.